• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

April 3rd Putnam Track Day

curt,

Looking forward to pics from your fire breathing machine, but try not to leave Jim too far behind on the straights! Sorry I can't join you guys:frown:....can't get away until Mid Ohio 5-14>5-16-10.

Regards,

Ray

Wow, this sounds like a very UNSAFE event. The tip-off is this sentence: "Instructors provided for Novice drivers if available." In other words, if there aren't enough instructors, novice drivers can go out on their own??? Sounds like a recipe for a disaster. And I'm not just referring to the obvious safety issues. For those who are just starting out, if they don't have an instructor in the passenger seat and classroom sessions for asking questions and other basics, they're going to learn all the wrong ways of doing things, and those bad habits will be that much harder to un-learn later.

It's much better to go with an experienced group of folks who have conducted events for many years, events which include classroom instructors and great instructors in every passenger seat (until you're signed off for solo). That's why I've stuck with BMW CCA and Chin Motorsports (as well as NSXPO with the NSX Club of America) for so many years.

I encourage you to sign up for these events instead:

April 3 - Mid-Ohio - Northern Ohio Chapter BMW CCA
April 17-18 - Putnam Park - Hoosier Chapter BMW CCA
May 1-2 - Autobahn Country Club - Windy City Chapter BMW CCA
May 29-30 - Mid-Ohio - Northern Ohio Chapter BMW CCA
May 31-June 1 - Mid-Ohio - Chin Motorsports
June 26-26 - GingerMan - Windy City Chapter BMW CCA
Sept 18-19 - Grattan - Motor City Chapter BMW CCA
Sept 25-26 - Putnam Park - Windy City Chapter BMW CCA

Last edited:
Wow, this sounds like a very UNSAFE event. The tip-off is this sentence: "Instructors provided for Novice drivers if available." In other words, if there aren't enough instructors, novice drivers can go out on their own??? Sounds like a recipe for a disaster. And I'm not just referring to the obvious safety issues. For those who are just starting out, if they don't have an instructor in the passenger seat and classroom sessions for asking questions and other basics, they're going to learn all the wrong ways of doing things, and those bad habits will be that much harder to un-learn later.

It's much better to go with an experienced group of folks who have conducted events for many years, events which include classroom instructors and great instructors in every passenger seat (until you're signed off for solo). That's why I've stuck with BMW CCA and Chin Motorsports (as well as NSXPO with the NSX Club of America) for so many years.

Ken, Bill at 10/10ths has been running his own events for 2 years now. He has also been with the Cincinnati Fire Dept for a long time is and VERY, VERY safety obsessed. I have never seen a 1st time novice go out solo at one of Bill's events and I have instructed at all of them. There are usually more instructors than students at all the events. I'm not sure why Bill has that wording in there or where it even is on the website? BTW: WHERE IS THAT WORDING ON THE WEBSITE? There may be some times when someone who has attended numerous events but feels more comfortable running in the novice group and go with/or without an instructor.

Bill also does run class room sessions with the novices.

What I do like about Bill is that he works with the Advanced groups allowing rolling starts for one of the sessions and passing without point-bys anywhere. Everyone is on the same page and everyone discusses what is going to happen thoroughly and what is expected (not a 5 min driver meeting in the AM). It has worked very, very well with NO accidents in the last two years. Well, except the Mustang that drove straight off turn 9 at Putnam into the woods - but that had nothing to do with the rules.

And for the record - my LEAST favorite groups to run with is Potamic PCA. Track NAZIs! Pontamic made me start in the Novice group at Mid Ohio because I had never run with them even though I told them I had over 50 track days at Mid Ohio and Instructed for NASA including graduating their "new" Instructor Clinic, CIRPCA, MOPCA, KYPCA and OVRPCA for 5 years and even had the Chief Instructor send an email to them confirming my instructor status with CIRPCA. Hell, it was their first time at Mid OH and I had more track time there then ALL their instructors combined. And they STILL made me run in the Novice group because I had never run with them before.

And Northern OH BMW told me I couldn't bring the NSX because it was a Targa and no targas - no exceptions! "I plan to run the car with the roof on, I always do"..... Nope, they said, no targas - no exceptions.

Chin runs a good event but overpriced.

This is from the FRONT PAGE of 10/10ths website:

WHO WE ARE

If you want a venue where you can advance your skills and have a great time, 10/10ths Motorsports is the place for you !! Depending on your experience and skill level, the Intermediate and Advanced groups permits you to pass in the corners, drive off line etc.
Let me clarify this for the intermediate group. Bill sometimes likes to run drills for example in which the first 3 laps of one of the sessions is with the cars side by side at 6/10ths so people can learn that the perspective and speed requirements are different when you are braking and turning off-line. Which is a good thing, because I can't tell you how many times I have to remind students when they go to take a pass on a straight that they are approaching the turn off-line and at a greater speed because they were concentrating on overtaking the other car that gave them a point by. Not to mention the constant battle of making students NOT take a bad point by - too late or with too much other traffic. There is ONLY ONE WAY TO LEARN these techniques and that is to do it. We allow and encourage it but DEMAND good sportsmanship which has proven to be a winner at all of our events. We have instructors on course for every session watching the drivers to ensure things go well, and they do. You will have the ability to drive at YOUR level and to increase at a pace that makes you comfortable.

Our Novice group is just that, for beginners so we supply instructors and limit passing to the straights only with a point bye. 10/10ths is all about teaching our Novice Drivers how to safely and effectively learn this sport so that they may advance to higher levels with confidence.

Simply Put

* We are a promoter of QUALITY events.
* We are a believer in getting you as much track time as possible
* We want to promote this sport and bring new people to the fold
* We believe in teaching novices the CORRECT and SAFE way to truly learn the sport
* We believe in giving drivers enough freedom to work on advancing their driving skills in a safe manner.
* Our advanced drivers will get the opportunity to begin learning racing skills in a non-competative / safe atmosphere.
* We all have room for advancement, we want to give you the venue and track time to improve.
* We will promote safety at all our events
* We have a comprehensive Novice Program to assist them and track their progress through all our events, providing concise goals for each event.
* NO membership fees

Last edited:
First half of the day sucked - rained. Second half, the track dried up and we got some good runs in. Final open session, Curt blew his engine and threw oil all over the place. Good thing I was way ahead of him (as usual) when it happened. :biggrin:

Hey Curt---- :tongue:

Last edited:

Op,
I would have hoped that you would have contacted me, attended one of our events and or talked to one of our drivers or instructors before making such outlandish and uninformed comments about 10/10ths !!

I place a very great deal of emphasis on safety and in fact, demand good sportsmanship, common sense, driving within your limits at every drivers meeting. We have an exceptional safety record, even with giving drivers more freedoms than any other group out there. I believe there is only one way to learn to various driving skills and that is to go out there and do it. We provide a safe, controlled and educational atmosphere to do just that and it has worked extremely well. The wording you spoke of may not be the best and I will correct that.
We also have one of the best group of instructors and I would put them up against any other group. Many are National Champion drivers. I provide them all Instructor Guidelines and student evaluation forms so we can provide consistent, logical and safe instruction so our Novice drivers learn the right skills in the correct sequence and in a safe manner. We provide classroom sessions which are taught by some of the best drivers in the sport.

I have to say; very unprofessional comments and I would not do the same to your organization. Much less than I would have expected from a fellow car enthusiast.
This sport is about having fun, learning to drive and meeting a great bunch of folks, and then going home safely. 10/10ths provides that and has seen great success in our 1st 3 years.

I would like to invite you to our next 10/10ths event as my guest so you can see for yourself, before trashing our program and before you know what you are talking about. You can set this up by emailing me at any time.

Thanks and to all the drivers on this forum.
Have fun and stay safe !!!

Bill

First half of the day sucked - rained. Second half, the track dried up and we got some good runs in. Final open session, Curt blew his engine and threw oil all over the place. Good thing I was way ahead of him (as usual) when it happened. :biggrin:

F'n douche...

Luckily the Easter Bunny brought me a motor for the the 2.5 hour trip back. :biggrin::biggrin: The car got a nice bath and is now resting peacefully. Ready for the next 10/10ths date.

Did I mention you're a douche? But you're my douche!

penguin.gif

Op,
I would have hoped that you would have contacted me, attended one of our events and or talked to one of our drivers or instructors before making such outlandish and uninformed comments about 10/10ths !!

I place a very great deal of emphasis on safety and in fact, demand good sportsmanship, common sense, driving within your limits at every drivers meeting. We have an exceptional safety record, even with giving drivers more freedoms than any other group out there. I believe there is only one way to learn to various driving skills and that is to go out there and do it. We provide a safe, controlled and educational atmosphere to do just that and it has worked extremely well. The wording you spoke of may not be the best and I will correct that.
We also have one of the best group of instructors and I would put them up against any other group. Many are National Champion drivers. I provide them all Instructor Guidelines and student evaluation forms so we can provide consistent, logical and safe instruction so our Novice drivers learn the right skills in the correct sequence and in a safe manner. We provide classroom sessions which are taught by some of the best drivers in the sport.

I have to say; very unprofessional comments and I would not do the same to your organization. Much less than I would have expected from a fellow car enthusiast.
This sport is about having fun, learning to drive and meeting a great bunch of folks, and then going home safely. 10/10ths provides that and has seen great success in our 1st 3 years.

I would like to invite you to our next 10/10ths event as my guest so you can see for yourself, before trashing our program and before you know what you are talking about. You can set this up by emailing me at any time.

Thanks and to all the drivers on this forum.
Have fun and stay safe !!!

Bill

Hey Bill!

Nice to see you on Prime abeit under these circumstances.

It is unforunate that misleading wording was misinterpreted- I'm sure with no malice intended.

Both times that I have participated in one of your events I have sought you out afterwards to personally thank you for putting together such a well organized event. As a novice, before each event I have attended the hour long novice's meeting that Brian Crouch conducts and received solid classroom instruction. BTW Brian does a great job for you. The rest of your staff are experienced, patient and stress above all else that safety is Job #1.

The two 10/10ths events that I have attended as a novice have been very rewarding events and an incredible value. A total of 3 hours track time and instruction for what, $245.00? And a co-driver can share a car with another attendee for an extra $25.00?

When my oil line took a dump at the end of the day I received professional support from a corner worker and a cautious tow back to the pits. The track worker that was way more concerned for my vehicle's well-being than expedience.

My only complaint would be that my instructor for both events was the same chatty douche.

Hey Jim ---:biggrin:

Last edited:
Hey Bill!

Nice to see you on Prime abeit under these circumstances.

It is unforunate that misleading wording was misinterpreted- I'm sure with no malice intended.

Both times that I have participated in one of your events I have sought you out afterwards to personally thank you for putting together such a well organized event. As a novice, before each event I have attended the hour long novice's meeting that Brian Crouch conducts and received solid classroom instruction. BTW Brian does a great job for you. The rest of your staff are experienced, patient and stress above all else that safety is Job #1.

The two 10/10ths events that I have attended as a novice have been very rewarding events and an incredible value. A total of 3 hours track time and instruction for what, $245.00? And a co-driver can share a car with another attendee for an extra $25.00?

When my oil line took a dump at the end of the day I received professional support from a corner worker and a cautious tow back to the pits. The track worker that was way more concerned for my vehicle's well-being than expedience.

My only complaint would be that my instructor for both events was the same chatty douche.

Hey Jim ---:biggrin:

Hi Curt,
Thanks for your comments.
I work very hard to put on SAFE, Quality events. As with any group, there is always room for improvement and my staff and I critique every event when we get home to make the next one better.

Hope to see you again and bring some of your NSX buddies, I would love to see them at the track.

As for chatty Kathy, I will bring a muzzle for him next time

F'n douche...

Luckily the Easter Bunny brought me a motor for the the 2.5 hour trip back. :biggrin::biggrin: The car got a nice bath and is now resting peacefully. Ready for the next 10/10ths date.

Did I mention you're a douche? But you're my douche!

Curt, good to hear nothing seriously wrong....glad you guys enjoyed the day, despite the challenging weather. We only go a few rain drops here, but oh the winds!
Regards, Ray

OK, so where's the pictures? Hopefully you took the wings out of your car before running over to Putnam:tongue: I wouldn't keep picking on Curt....better stay away from his fire breathing exhaust:biggrin:....he's planning on running ahead of you next time out!
Regards, Ray

OK, so where's the pictures? Hopefully you took the wings out of your car before running over to Putnam:tongue: I wouldn't keep picking on Curt....better stay away from his fire breathing exhaust:biggrin:....he's planning on running ahead of you next time out!
Regards, Ray

Took the wings out of his car?
He didn't even take his track toolbox out of the trunk... and he was still fast!

Took the wings out of his car?
He didn't even take his track toolbox out of the trunk... and he was still fast!

Curt, I was referring to the QSL chicken wings......hummm, maybe that's how he gets around the track so fast.....no we know his secret!

Regards, Ray

Curt, I was referring to the QSL chicken wings......hummm, maybe that's how he gets around the track so fast.....no we know his secret!

Regards, Ray

I can't comment on them as a performance enhancer but we both can attest to their L-tryptophan content. We both overslept about a half-hour and still wound up on the road about 5 miles apart when we intersected.

Back