• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Sumitomo left rear tire for 1993

Anyone buy a set of Sumitomo tires and got a 5th left rear (drivers side) tire they are trying to get rid of? I have a right (passenger side) HTR50Z P205/50ZR15 84W AU7298. These are rotational tires and I need the left rear.

I don't understand.

1. What does having a right front have to do with needing a left rear?

2. Just because the tires are rotational, you can still flip them and use them on the other side of the car. Are you sure these tires are asymmetric (left tires or right tires)? I thought they were symmetric so they could be flipped.

3. Why would you want to put crappy tires such as these on an NSX?

confused.gif

I am selling a set of Nitto 555R rear tires off of my NSX. they are 255/40/17 and I have about 350 miles on them. I have 10" rims on the rear and the 255's are too skinny for them. I love the way these tires handle and will be going with 295/40/17 Nitto 555R. $275.00 for both. private me if [email protected]

While I have never put Sumitomos on my NSX being quite satisfied with the stock Yokohamas, they are far from 'crappy'. I have them on my C36 and have been very pleased with all aspects of them. Most pleasing of all was that they sell for less for less than half the price of the Pilots that I replaced.

I've driven them on my NSX, since I bought a set of wheels that had them mounted. IMO they are indeed crappy - compared with the OEM tires (Yokohama A022H). In fact, they were so bad, I threw them out.

Keep in mind that a given tire can be perfectly adequate on a family sedan, but can degrade the performance of a sports car.

Or, it may just be a matter of different folks, different opinions...

[This message has been edited by nsxtasy (edited 01 October 2001).]

Oooooops! I really screwed up! I had read somewhere that the tire pattern was not symmetrical from left to right on directional tires; therefore, I matched it exactly to the right rear tire … never thinking, since it matched, to try the inner wall on the left side. Duh! Next duh … I was under the impression from the previous owner it was an extra rear tire; I was so swallowed up in my intelligence of thinking I had to identify which side it mated, I didn’t even catch that it was a 15 inch for the front. Next potential duh … please explain with the high ratings in all categories as compared to other manufacturers, this is considered an inferior tire for street use. I don’t necessarily measure a products quality by price, and for around $350 delivered for a set of 4, I would rather spend the saved $$$ on a timing belt and water pump maintenance.
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/surveyresults/hp.jsp
also, if I haven't bored you yet here is another testimonialI do not compete with the car, but drive very aggressively. After
considerable review of all the aftermarket tires (and being a bit of a risk
taker), I chose to install a tire about which little or no information
existed relative to its performance on the NSX. The other motivating factor
was cost... frankly, forking over almost $1,000 for tires every ~5,000 miles
was not a welcome thought.
Ordering through the Tire Rack (who dropped shipped directly to my dealer
for installation and alignment), I installed Sumitomo HTR Z (not the Z2)
tires in 225/45-16 on the fronts and 255/40-17 on the rears. Stock wheels
were retained. The cost was an amazing $144.00 each for the rears and
$103.00 each for the fronts. That alone would make you want to seriously
consider them. But, the final outcome was totally unexpected.
I have ridden on many NSX's with both standard and oversize rims sporting
over a half dozen different tires. The Sumitomos are the smoothest riding
and absolute quietest tire I have ever experienced. They are uncanny! The
ride improvement on the highway was amazing. the only word to describe it is
silk! In comparison, a Lexus LS 400 comes to
mind. Quiet really doesn't describe the tire. Silent is a better word. Your
engine noise and sound system will both be much more appreciated.
Steering response is more immediate over the stock Yokos and cornering much
more predictable and with a very smooth transition from adhesion to slide
with no apparent diminishment of overall of adhesion. I am ecstatic with
this purchase. These qualities combined with a $494.00 total price for 4
make Sumitomos the bargain of the century. Highly recommended especially
with aftermarket springs.

I have the Sumitomos on my 91 and i am very happy with them 215-40-17s front 265-35-18s rear. I had them on a previous car 95 Talon around 370hp and got 10,000 out of them with three track events handled well great in the rain and very quiet not to mention a great price.

Steven 91 Blk/Ivory

Originally posted by Slingshot:
...I have ridden on many NSX's with both standard and oversize rims sporting
over a half dozen different tires. The Sumitomos are the smoothest riding
and absolute quietest tire I have ever experienced. They are uncanny! The
ride improvement on the highway was amazing. the only word to describe it is
silk! In comparison, a Lexus LS 400 comes to
mind. ...

But it's not a Lexus LS 400! It's a sports car!! My NSX came with these tires. I spent a month driving it, playing on the back roads, adjusting the tire pressures for best handling, and playing some more. Quiet, yes, but no way do they compare performance wise, (responsiveness, adhesion, straight line stability, etc.) to the OEM tires I then installed. If all you do is tool around looking bad, then get whatever looks nice and last's long for the money if you can stand them. If you push it hard on the street, much less the track, then step up and buy a decent tire. No offense, but I don't understand buying an NSX then saving a few bucks (OK, about eight cents per mile) by using cheap tires. Tell me again why you spent all than money in the first place?
wink.gif

Back