• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

A day at the drags

So I went to the local drag strip last night and had an interesting experience. Wanted to see if I had sorted out my fuel system issues and was ready to push the car a bit.

Rolled through the first launch, shifted methodically and pulled out at 13.1. Then, I pushed the launch a bit, but still shifted carefully and cracked off a 12.7. The car clearly had a lot more in it. So, lined up again, hammered it at the launch (.51 reaction time) and broke an axle. What a bummer.

Then, one of my firends shows up in his street-legal C5 and rips off a 9.9 at 144mph on his first run! Jeeeezus!

[This message has been edited by David (edited 17 May 2001).]

HUH!? What tires were you running? I run mickey Thompson ET streets and Launch hard at 6K RPMS and haven't broken anything yet. (Done this about 11-15times)

YES> Your car has MUCH more in it if it has 500rwhp. Stop by Houston, and let me give you a ride in my car. Watch me shift and see if you do the same thing.

Important question...... What MPH were you running at the end of the 1/4 mile?

With just my 150shot of Gas I have gotten an
11.6 @ 120.5MPH. (400 RWHP)

Also curious Dave, what tires were you running?

Andrie. Do you know who SW is? Supra, Vette, Viper.

I was using BFG drag radials. The track was so sticky that four other cars broke axles. On my one decent run the 1/8 mile was 8.1 and finished at 115mph. So, clearly can run much faster.

The vette was SW's. He calls it a Z0-7. It's a Z0-6 with a 7 liter motor.

Dave, Come down here and race with me.

Drag radials will definately break something. It's starting to make more sense. My best time @116mph is 12.1 seconds. I'm sure there are a few more mph's in there with a better start to get the momentum going in your car.

Did you get someone to do your roll bar yet? Maybe we can do it at the same time before the event. Only the best though. Chromolly tubing and a tight fit up against the roof, with a swing out bar. I was thinking about getting mine Chromed before I put it in. Maybe after the race. Not enough time. Do you have a 5 point harness?

No, I'll be too busy setting up for the June 8-9-10 race. Let me know how you do. If you need anything, let me know.

Find a place to fix the axle? I have some one who MAY have a better/stronger replacement.

Originally posted by nsxlr8:
Also curious Dave, what tires were you running?

Andrie. Do you know who SW is? Supra, Vette, Viper.

I don't know SW personally. But he is pretty famous guy in the net (car-nutz) comunity.
smile.gif

I am curious what is the result of his challenge to the AZ supra guys.

Originally posted by nsxlr8:
Drag radials will definately break something.

Why do you feel drag radials will break something? I'm sure drag slicks would be even worse. David's problem was probably due to the traction compound they put down when the Pro cars run. In the old days (I'm not saying how old) I also broke some axles. I found that launching a little harder (more wheels spin) was the best way to prevent broken axles. I also found that a slightly heavier flywheel helped me launch better and without breaking stuff.

[This message has been edited by dswartz (edited 21 May 2001).]

I really did mean to say "can break something" I was just releived they were something sticky. I originally thought he was just running street tires. (1/4 mile times were shocking to the point were I was SURE he was just spinning all the way down)

Yeah, SW is well known by many here in Houston.

David:

Not sure if you're interested in autocrossing but we're doing out at RCR now one Sunday a month. We've got 1-2 NSXs out there now and keep it small -- usually about 50 cars or so and 7 runs.

Were you out at the Vette/Viper shootout...er..I mean Vette Test and Tune... about a month ago?

Check out http://www.conehunter.com if you're interested.

-Matt

------------------
Matt Shover
-91 NSX (daily driver
-89 CRX (weekend racer)

Back