• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Baffled oil pan

I spun a couple of rod bearings on the track in my motor this summer so it got me think about oil. A baffled oil pan seems like a good addition to any NSX that is seeing hard track use but I didn't see exactly what I wanted out there. Here is what I came up with for my car. All of the steel baffles I have seen have a big cut out on the right side which is the clearance for the dip stick, but also does not control the oil on a left hand turn. I lowered the baffle in the pan just a bit, which allowed me to have contact with all the sides of the pan and still clear the dip stick.

I will be getting this Teflon coated, along with the stock baffle so it sheds oil better. Will post pics once I get it back.

I have also come up with a very slick Accusump fitting which will allow the addition of an Accusump with only one hose, and leaves all the stock filter and oil cooler in place.

Last edited:
impressive.... keep us updated...

x

the nsxnut said:
Dave, what's the clearance from the surface of the pan to the bottom of the baffle plate?

Nice work!
It sits at 2" from the bottom of the pan, should be just below the oil level when the motor is running.

Dave, just curious, why would you need a baffled oil pan if you install an Acusump? Also, what fix did you do for the Acusump? Shad made an ingenious connection on mine without an adapter and using the OEM oil filter ...........

Hrant said:
Dave, just curious, why would you need a baffled oil pan if you install an Acusump? Also, what fix did you do for the Acusump? Shad made an ingenious connection on mine without an adapter and using the OEM oil filter ...........
The best oil supply is the pressure from the pump, should be 80 lb. + at track RPM. The Accusump oil is at 60 LB., which should be enough to keep the oil film in the bearings, always better to have more pressure.:smile:

I will post a pic for the adapter, it is a mod to the bolt which holds the oil cooler on top of the filter bracket. The Accusump oil is introduced in to the system through the bolt, uses the oil filter check valve so there is no need for extra parts. I sent one down to Shad. Keep an eye on the SOS website, Chris is looking at using the bolt in a new Accusump kit.

Dave,

one thing critical in designing an oil pan baffle is not only to restrict the oil in the pump area, but to ensure it will have ample way to go back in and re-fill that area. I can't tell from the picture, on how low the baffle is. But if it is high enough, I'm a little worried if there will be enough oil to re-fill.

Currently the baffle sits about 1/2" below the running oil level.

Any thoughts on changes to make the lower area re-fill quicker?

Andrie Hartanto said:
A trap door design will probably yield to better result

G'day Dave
I agree, Your baffle is better than nothing, not that hard to go a little further & eliminate problems altogether, knowing your skills.

I don't have any pictures of my Sump but I've done a basic edit of your sump to show what I did.

I made up a Diamond shaped box with 4 hinged trap doors that only open inwards towards the pickup (which I reduced in size also)

Then make the sump into 4 seperate chambers with a 1 3/4" hole in the top of each chamber.

Luckily I'm a little better with the Tools than I am with Microsoft Paint.

Last edited:
Thanks for the input, especially to you Wayne!

Looks like this set up will be a STAGE 1, road/track pan. Next step might be a STAGE 2 track specific pan. I want to try and do this with out any mods other than the pan, a direct bolt up to the stock bottom end where one can R&R the pan and be done with the upgrade. The 4 chamber set up does not lend it's self to the stock pick up because the bottom end is so large and offset toward the middle of the block, rather than the middle of the lowest part of the pan.

If I go that far with this concept, might be a better solution to go dry sump...

All NSX motors have a baffle plate that bolts to the bottom of the oil galley, but there are no baffles in the pan.

Some pics of the finished pan...

Attachments

• finished oil pan 3-8 fitting.jpg
    finished oil pan 3-8 fitting.jpg
    45.5 KB · Views: 327
  • finished oil pan AN-8 pair.jpg
    finished oil pan AN-8 pair.jpg
    52.5 KB · Views: 299
  • finished oil pan inside AN-8 fittings.jpg
    finished oil pan inside AN-8 fittings.jpg
    41.8 KB · Views: 377
  • finished oil pan drain plug.jpg
    finished oil pan drain plug.jpg
    62.7 KB · Views: 308
  • finished pan AN-8 fitting.jpg
    finished pan AN-8 fitting.jpg
    55.1 KB · Views: 295
Final shot...Let me know if any one want one, I will be doing the next batch in about 2 weeks.

This shows the Teflon coated pan and stock baffle, will help shed oil and get the oil back to the bottom of the pan as quick as possible.

Attachments

• finshed pan inside and stock baffle.jpg
    finshed pan inside and stock baffle.jpg
    90.3 KB · Views: 422
Great idea and even better execution, Dave. I hadn't even thought of coating the stock baffle w/ the oil shed material but will do it once I get my car back. Well done.

Have you thought of using a heat dissipating coating on the exterior of the pan?

As an example, I coated mine with the oil shedding material internally and a heat dissipating coating externally:

40552006_0715Image0120.jpg

40552006_0715Image0115.jpg

Dave,

What kind of price are we looking at, and will this be on a core exchange basis?

Jim

Yes on the core exchange, right now I only have one spare, so I am a bit slow on turn around but I hope to have more in the works soon...

Prices:
Baffle plate only $30
Baffle plate installed in your pan $120, includes stripping
Fittings installed, (1/2 NPT, 3/8 NPT, 1/4 NPT, AN-12,10,8, or 6) $45 per
Powdercoat finish, pan only $40
Gun coating(Teflon) $60 for set(pan and baffle)

Fittings can be for oil return lines or thermocouples.

Please PM me with direct questions or we can see about doing a group buy if 5 or more can get me oil pans at one time.

I will keep going on the trap door pan...thanks Wayne and Andrie:redface:

Last edited:
Thanks Rob,
Does this use the standard pick up or did you modify it to not interfere with the hinged doors?

Dave

Thanks Rob,
Does this use the standard pick up or did you modify it to not interfere with the hinged doors?

Dave

The standard pick-up fits in here; if you look closely you can see a U-shaped cutout in the wall for the pick-up down tube. (Second picture)

My guess is that this would be categorized as another one of those cost prohibitive items to mass market.

Dave, even without the hinged door, I'm slightly more partial to Rob's design in that the focus is a little more on the pick-up location, with the walls extending all the way to the bottom of the pan- preventing run-off in the first place. Your's is likely just as well, but perhaps ideas we can play with when I give you my pan next week; I'll just need a basic baffle, and will be tapping for an accusump with no further plans to pursue the dry sump this season.

When you see the simplicity, it's hard to believe they don't do this stock. While I understand for the masses and OE specs to be entirely unneccessary... moving forward now with ever increasing lateral mechanical grip on the higher street tires and R-compunds.... to me it would seem to me to add a good easy margin of safety, while negligibly increasing costs of a modern production vehicle. I would think that even with a stock wet pickup, per computer simulation such a mod may well increase the pan from say .85 to 1.3 on a typical wet system.

I can't say for sure, one of the engineers at Aerial mentioned to me that unlike GM, Honda does not disclose their G force ratings on their oil pans- along with pricing and other missing data one of the core reasons for the switch for them to the Ecotech. As such, they were unable to provide meaningful data other than 'splurge on the accumulator' on even a widely used engine like the B18C5. As even a C6 Z06 comes with dry sump, hopefully the next generation Honda sports cars will include a more robust lubrication system by default.

Last edited:
John,
I don't think Rob's design is worthwhile without the hinged doors. With that in mind, I have some off the shelf hinged partitions used for small block chevys coming. Should be here by Friday so we will have something to look at this weekend...here comes stage II:wink:

Back