• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Daytime Driving Light alternative

I'm importing my NSX into Canada at the end of this month. Canada has a requirement to have DRL so I wanted to install them before hand so I don't have to do the work in the freezing cold.

I was going to get the JDM fogs but I'm having second thoughts about spending $600 USD on a set of fogs... and they aren't even HID!

The only fogs I'm willing to install on my car are the JDMs so aftermarket is out of the question (it's a personal thing...)

Then I noticed several C5 corvettes with thier parking lights as DRLs. I called one of the inspection centers (Canadian Tire :wink:) and they said that as long as there are lights that come on all the time, it will pass. I'm not going to bet on an opinion of a Canadian Tire rep, but I was thinking whether the corner white parking lights would pass?

Worse case have the parking lights and corner lights on and parking lights blink when the turn signal is activated.

I've searched but I've only been able to find max output regulations but no other specifications for DRL regulations in Canada. What do you guys think?

I imported mine late in 2001 and I phoned RIV and asked whether I could use the corner running lights and the guy said no. This prompted a number of other questions about what was acceptable and the only other piece of information I got from him was that they have a minimum height req'ment from the center of the DRLs to the road surface (but I don't remember what is was .. although mounting them in the same location as the factory DRLs meets the req'ments as long as you haven't lowered the car). Since RIV creates the regulations, I'd advise you to contact them not CT .. although if your local CT inspection guy says he'll pass it, who really cares. The guy that did mine was a joke .. I'd just hate to see you do a bunch of electrical work and then have to re-do it. I just put in a set of inexpensive white fog/driving lights in roughly the same location as stock and used a relay that's driven from the IGN circuit. I think I spent more time looking for a good place to splice into the circuit than I did installing the lights and relay.

On the topic of what lights are acceptable in the industry, I think Chrysler vans use the corner amber lights but they might be boosting the output because they're really noticable and catch your eye.

yeah, those corner lights wont be accepted, I think you should go out and buy some cheap but clear fog lights and install them on your car until you pass inspection then you can take them off afterwards..

Thanks for the responses. Ian, thanks also for your lengthy and informative PM. I didn't get a chance to thank you before.

Instead of taking a chance, I may just bite the bullet and get the JDM fogs unless I can convince a CT guy to pass me on the corners...

OR you should consider a replacement for the pop up lights? You could maybe get the 02+s or get a GT1 kit. Most other cars just wire it up so that the low beams are always on; without popups, that would work right? Are you trying to avoid having your popups up at all times?

CDN Tire may have an easy to remove relay that pops your lights up when the car is on. You could uninstall it after...

SPA_S2000 said:
OR you should consider a replacement for the pop up lights? You could maybe get the 02+s or get a GT1 kit. Most other cars just wire it up so that the low beams are always on; without popups, that would work right? Are you trying to avoid having your popups up at all times?

CDN Tire may have an easy to remove relay that pops your lights up when the car is on. You could uninstall it after...

Not only did I not want to spend $7,000+ US for a new hood, bumper, headlights and paint, I actually like the old school pop up lights much better than the new fixed lights and front bumper.

I definitely don't want to have my pop ups on at all times but I could wire a relay up to do that just to pass inspection and remove it afterwards.

These are all good alternatives that I will consider... except the $7,000 one :wink:

lithiumus said:
Not only did I not want to spend $7,000+ US for a new hood, bumper, headlights and paint, I actually like the old school pop up lights much better than the new fixed lights and front bumper.

I definitely don't want to have my pop ups on at all times but I could wire a relay up to do that just to pass inspection and remove it afterwards.

These are all good alternatives that I will consider... except the $7,000 one :wink:

Yikes! $7K US? I thought that the hood would need to be changed, but I figured the lights were $1.5K and that a Type R hood would be cool anways.

Yeah - that doesnt make sense then, especially if you like the popups more.

any 2 lights on the front can be on as drl. they can be amber or clear. the just need to be on when the car is running and the hand brake is off. you can wire a relay to power up your marker lights on the front that will pass.

Hello, I had to install DRL lights on my car, when it was imported....You have a couple of options
- OEM DRL
- Aftermarket "fog type" lights.

Either options you will need to get some wires run.

Given me a call or PM and I tell you what I did, without splicing the wiring system.

Bram

Bra

lithiumus said:

Lithiumus, I care much less about lights then I do your NEW CONSOLE!

James told me about it and sent me the link.

Cant wait to see it.

Tell us about that!

Back