• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Forced to sell my NSX

I don't think that driving a 19 sports year old car will make you come off as a pompous prick. It's more of a collector's item than a car for stuck up A hoes.

Maybe pulling up in a Ferrari or Lambo or Bentley or Aston Martin, yea, but not an Acura. Even now more than ever before. The Acura brand has been dragged through the dirt and isn't even on the level of Lexus or Infiniti anymore. It's like slightly better than a Honda now.

I believe that you're over reacting and should keep your baby.

Last edited:
I don't think that driving a 19 sports year old car will make you come off as a pompous prick. It's more of a collector's item than a car for stuck up A hoes.

Maybe pulling up in a Ferrari or Lambo or Bentley or Aston Martin, yea, but not an Acura. Even now more than ever before. The Acura brand has been dragged through the dirt and isn't even on the level of Lexus or Infiniti anymore. It's like slightly better than a Honda now.

I think the problem is that only car enthusiasts know what the car actually is, how old it is etc and what it's worth in todays market but it's timeless and certainly looks a lot more expensive than you actually have to pay for one. So to the layman it might as well be a ferrari or lambo.

I have nothing valuable to add other than. . . .+ friggin 1!!!

Awesome story, and I'm glad to hear you've come to your senses and are keeping your NSX.

I don't have the longevity in the NSX that you do (I'm at about eight years now) but I can say that I've only made friends in this car, no enemies.

Awesome story! A friend of mine was also an original owner, and he gave me a bunch of memorabilia, including the Mont Tremblant invitation. It's funny, I actually get my car serviced at Sterne Acura, and I spotted a black 91 earlier this summer up in Barrie. I suspect there aren't too many NSX's in Barrie.. wonder if it was you?

Does that mean you regret selling the NSX? The Gt3 could not fill the gap!!

As much I love the NSX and it is was my dream car, the 02 911 has filled the gap to a large extent - close to 80%

LOL...I'm the opposite. Sold my 06 911 and now pursuing another NSX.

Don't sell it. Period. No matter where you go, someone will give you the "what a rich ass" deal, but its been my experience that 95% of people will generally stare in amazement as they don't know what it is. There's probably like only a dozen in the whole province. Trust me, I'm only 23 and I live just outside of Halifax (10mins from airport) and I have yet to have any neagative comments about my car, and I don't live in the richy part of town:rolleyes: I constantly get everyone checking it out, whether I'm parked at Tim Hortons getting a coffee or at Canadian Tire picking up a weekly sale, and usually have a group of people waiting wanting to know about the car. Most of us Nova Scotians are pretty relaxed:smile: Cheers

I'd be interested in knowing how many original owners there are left in Canada. Can Acura tell us such things?

Shortly after taking delivery of the car in the late summer, I received an invitation from Acura (which I should have kept!) inviting me to the 'Jim Russell Racing Drivers School'. This was an all-expenses paid, 3 day event at their facility at Circuit Mont Tremblant, Quebec. This was in the pre-historic days when very few businesses had websites and Google maps certainly didn't exist so my imagination went wild with anticipation!

Finally, the date arrived and I headed out for Mont Tremblant via Ottawa. I crossed the Quebec border and turned left at Montebello. This is where my actual lessons began! Highway 323 north out of Montebello is a driving school in itself! I see from a recent Street View that the province is taking all of the fun out of this road!. The posted speed limit for the entire stretch was 80 km/h (50 mph) including corners like this one.

I arrived at the hotel to a large reception where everyone got to know each other. It was awkward at first but a common passion for the car brought everyone together pretty fast. The next day we headed out for the track and were greeted by a pit crew of uniformed Acura mechanics who went over the cars to make sure our tire pressures and lug nuts were to spec and that all cars had proper oil and coolant levels before heading to the track. I'm sure this was just as big an event for the Acura techs as it was for us.

If I recall there were 31 of us and about 10 professional racing instructors and these instructors drove the first lap of every 'session' to make sure the tires were hot and that the car remained safe to drive. They also showed us the proper line through the course and more importantly they showed us what was possible with these cars! They scared the crap out of me! Remember that I had never really put my car through it's paces so I really didn't know what performance to expect. Driving on a good track is vastly different than on the street. You don't have to worry about gravel or other incompetent drivers and the racing line is designed for maximum speed which is very different than the street. Catch the proper line just once and you will never forget the feeling of an NSX coming out of a turn under full power and in full control.

Anyway.. we alternated between theory clinics and driving sessions for 3 solid days and probably shaved 50% off my Yokohamas. To my knowledge, there were no breakdowns at all amongst the 31 cars which is remarkable considering this was the first version ever produced.

The weekend remains a vivid memory and certainly the highlight of my life (so far).

WOW!! That is seriously freaking cool!! I can only relate in-terms of I have owned my '02 LBB since new but....WOW - what you experienced as an original owner of a 1991!! I'm jealous - you should DEF. keep it forever! :)

Thanks for sharing b.t.w

I'd be interested in knowing how many original owners there are left in Canada. Can Acura tell us such things?

Honestly, I wouldn't think there are many of you due to the low number sold in Canada. I've gone and bought a mint 91 similar to yours...

We'll have to meet up next summer!

Jetpilot

Funny you mention the Spit. I have a soft place in my heart for small British cars. I just sold a 1973 GT6 2 years ago with 30,000 orignal miles. I miss that car everytime I see pictures of it.

What a great read! Glad to see you took our advice and are keeping the car. It would really suck if you found out one of your neighbors actually had one in their garage:redface:.

Tytus

Well, I'm resurrecting this old thread (I'm the OP under a new account) to report that [MENTION=22589]shawn110975[/MENTION] was correct. We did move back. My wife's job disappeared after about 3 years out there (like almost all jobs on Cape Breton Island) and my daughter (who was 1 year old when I bought the NSX and was 19 when I last posted in 2010 and is now a married women with a Masters Degree) has blessed us with 2 beautiful grandsons. That last bit was what really brought us back. I wanted to be a bigger part of their lives then just a fly-in Grandpa but it was tough to leave the East Coast. I made lots of good friends and coached a lot of kids some volleyball. Living on the ocean on Cape Breton Island changed me to the core. Surfing with the sea lions and watching whales meander past your house just off shore would change any human. My NSX and I found some absolutely spectacular routes from A to B on Cape Breton Island that I'll never forget. My trips into town always seemed to take a little longer each time as I wandered off course to see what lay beyond the next bend. It has some of the crookedest roads in existence. I came across a hand-painted road sign once that declared, sarcastically, "Straight Road for the next Hundred Yards". I kept the car under wraps for the first year but as I got to know more and more folks and found some other car lovers, I relaxed and enjoyed what the Island had to offer. Anyway, the car still 'floats my boat' every time I get in her and is as flawless today as it was when we moved out East. The timing belt and the AC are the only things I've spent any serious cash on so far which is remarkable for a 30 year old car. it still has it's original brake pads and rotors! I'm soooo glad you all talked me into keeping the car not just because I love the car but also because it was appraised at $80k CND last summer so it's been a great investment as well. It still smells like new leather whenever I get in. My 4-year-old grandson thinks it's the coolest car on the planet and I tend to agree with him. I showed him video of the racing school at Mont Tremblant and my 'street cred' went up immediately, "My Grandpa's a racing car driver!!". It has 109,000kms (68,000 miles) and I find excuses to drive it every chance I get. Southern Ontario is pretty flat and straight so I'm having a harder time finding that special route from A to B compared to the Island but I'll keep looking and looking and looking.

Back