• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

NSX Ram AIR JuryRigged

shawn110975

Suspended
Hello this is my first thread on here so bare with me,,, I am a proud Owner Of an 1992 NSX, finally,, anyway after putting in my 2005 Acura TL Navi with the SOS navi pod, and constantly looking at all the SOS products,, I saw an Air duct that is more efficient than the original air duct, around 300 bucks, so i got to thinking I could make that,, so i did,, but now reading some threads about heavy Rain i'm scared did i do something stupid? I took the old ducts from my 2005 TL upgrade, then i took the original duct from my nsx and cut a huge section so that i could fit the pipes from my TL, so that now the air goes thru the side vent, and a straight shot to the intake,, jury rigged i know I will buy the kit from SOS eventually but the throttle sound is amazingly loud, cost me nothing but my time,, getting the duct off is were the pain was,, two silver 1 Inch finger bolts, weird,, anyway my question is with the duct now so exposed to the outside vent,, will water get sucked in and penatrate the air filter? its hasnt rained hard yet here in tampa, so fingers crossed!!

This should be posted in the NSX Owner Discussion thread. I had a hard time reading your post, because it was one very long sentence. I think you are asking about Air Induction System (AIS)

I have the Cantrell Concepts AIS and few guys here have the Downforce AIS and never had a problem with rain getting in the airfilter.

Go luck with your NSX.

Last edited:
Air intake scoops have more of an effect of sound than any performance. From what I have read there is no lack of air to the engine with the stock scoop. There has never been any dyno results that show gains from such a scoop. I agree that in theory it is a better design, but you can't force more air into the intake if it has no where else to go while it waits to be consumed by the engine. It would take a wind tunnel test with tufts of air to prove the theory as I suspect the excess air bypasses the scoop due to higher pressure.

I'm considering a similar mod for my aural enjoyment. You'd have to drive through some pretty torrential rain at pretty high speed to even have a chance of getting enough water up in there to cause a problem (though you might want to mind where you point the hose/pressure washer while cleaning the car). Even then, I think the worst case would be power loss due to the clogged filter and the cost of replacing the filter.

My MR2 Turbo's side intake (similar configuration to NSX) is mounted much lower on the car, and I have driven through veritable monsoons in that car without even a hiccup. the one thing you might consider is to drill a small drain hole in the bottom of the scoop so it doesn't retain any water once you stop.

I'm curious if we have any documented problems with this type of scoop in heavy rain, or if this is just some legal disclaimer junk in case someone tries to ford a river in thier NSX and drowns due to their SOS/Downforce/Dali/knock-off scoop sucking in a bunch of water.

Last edited:
Not worth $300 but probably worth the ~$100 sold elsewhere for a similar part.

Some have noticed a dirtier air filter with the scoop. All I think it really does is lighten your wallet and excellent at catching more random dirt blowing around.

I've never heard of anyone having a water problem though. Want the sound, buy aftermarket drop in filter like the Uni dual stage foam filter or even a K&N.

Spend the $300 elsewhere like on HIDs. Best bang for the buck.

Back